Thursday, July 29, 2010

This 'N' That

Today was a day that caused me to think about a lot of different things. As I was swatting flies I remembered the mud last winter and how I fussed about it. A little rain and mud now would be nice. I'm all in favor of moving summer to wintertime when it is a little cooler. Then we could move winter to spring and.....


Leeso and Lady Bug reminded me of why we became a sanctuary. Leeso has a back deformity that makes him unrideable- for adults anyway. He was going to be slaughtered. His former owner didn't care that he was a wonderful, beautiful colt- only that he was deformed. He was expendable. He will be trained here. Should something happen to us he will have a future.
He has many friends and is an easy gentle colt. This year he is 3. He's still a little spooky, but will gentle down easily.
Lady Bug is afraid of people. I don't know her story, but she obviously has been mistreated. She is a sweet gaited mule.


Last Spring Quincy and Babe were inseparable. Now Quincy has moved on to Tiger Lily and Babe is second best. It reminded me that things change, people come in and out of our lives and we have to be ready to change and grow and become the best we can no matter what.
Fiesty and Princess accepted Patches as a family member. They love him, play with him and treat him as though he has always been here. We should be so kind and accepting to others, too.



Skittles is a loner but a vital part of the herd. She doesn't need anyone too close (although she and Brandi were grooming each other this morning) but she is a part of the group. There is a lesson there, too.

It was a busy phone and email day. Two more horses need homes . We are bursting with 61 and 2 more expected. Randy has a mare that can be a pasture buddy. She is not good to ride. Randy cares very much about this horse, but needs to find a safe caring place for her. If you can help Randy please call him at 530-823-7489.
Also, had a call from a wonderful woman who is going to volunteer. Welcome, Amalia, to the Home At Last family.
Last thought-Flies. I don't like them. I try to be loving to all creature but flies, mosquitoes and centipedes try my patience. I like millipedes, but centipedes are threatening. Back to flies. I think they are thinking creatures who intentionally try to "bug" us. Today as I was swatting my daily 300, I know I heard them laughing. "She thinks by swatting a few of us we'll go away. Ha." "She thinks she'll make a difference in our numbers. Ha." "Watch her swing. Missed me. Ha."
There is no spray, no amount of fly predators, no amount of pennies in a baggie filled with water that will make these creepy creatures disappear.
I guess I'm ready for winter and rain and mud. At least there are no flies in the Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment