Thursday, October 28, 2010

Another Two Days' Worth.

Yesterday started like any other. First chores- feeding and watering. Then off to get some hay. When we got home I went to help a new horse owner learn to put on a blanket. Her horse is where ours were at "Summer Camp."
Here's where things got bad. My horses looked at the blanketed horse and took off at a run. The blanketed horse thought it looked like a good time to romp so off she went. Soon the romp turned into a panicked run and the horses went crashing through the brush and fences.
Two of mine had cuts and tears bad enough they required the vet to come and stitch them.
Of course, I blame myself. All the years of horse owning I did not expect the panic to a blanket. All our horses have been around blanketed horses before. The new owner was stunned. She had not ever seen what 4 rampaging horses could do.
As a long time horse owner I should have known anything any time can cause trouble. The new owner learned that.
We brought the girls home today. They seem to be fine. They will stay in the barn during this next storm and until their stitches have healed.
Aaron and Amy came today and helped with getting things ready for this storm. They moved horses into the barns and finished the tractor.
Yesterday for a few minutes things were fine. Here's what I should have done. Put the blanket on the horse. Watched the reaction of my horses to the blanket. When I saw their concern I should have removed the blanket from the horse before letting her go.
I should have been prepared for a disaster and I wasn't. (Obviously this is really bothering me).
New Levi is settling in nicely and he has decided Lucky is NOT friendly. He moved down near Rosie and had a more pleasant reception.
Most of the "oldies" are in awaiting this next storm. Maybe pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment