Monday, November 29, 2010

More Pictureless Ramblings

The cold weather is great. No flies, just lots of mud. I still like the mud better. Give me a couple more months and things will be different, though.
Sparkle canters up to anyone who will talk to him. He's so proud and feels so good. He's still thin, but his legs are not wobbly any more. He waits for his grain morning and eve and goes into the barn for his dinner.
Lexi and Rosie went out for about three minutes today and then came right back in. They do not like the mud. Levi II would love to get out and romp with the others. Previous injuries keep him limited, but we're working on a plan for him.
Charles and Belle continue to be close and break our hearts because we can't do anything for Belle.
Lucky and Cricket love being out. Bobbie leads, then Lucky, then Cricket. They look like steps.
Promise and Charity are still chasing Wild Bill. Brian was able to pet him on Sunday.
Chance, Harmony, Daisy, Ruby, Jesse, Breeze Bay, Cash, Pedro and Rico are all wearing their blankets. Levi I took his off and stomped it in the ground.
Marnie, Tess, and Amira are never far apart. Neither are Aurora, Sunny and Chardonnay. I thought they all might get cold with this last freeze, but no one has the shivers. I guess the good hay is keeping them warm.
Skittles and Tiger Lily still have their blankets on. They do shiver without them.
More about the rest of the herd tomorrow.
When I feed on the tractor I have to navigate between donkeys, mules, a miniature horse, a Saddlebred and dogs. No one seems to care that I need to move ahead. They mosey along, eating the hay on the front tines and stop to enjoy the view. Tonight I couldn't even get through the gate because donkeys would go out as I came in. Had to go way around to the other gate.
The Holidays make folks more cheerful, but the animals are joyful always. They enjoy each bite of hay, each sip of water, each ray of warm sun. I think I'll try to be more animal-like and take joy in all the simple parts of the day.
Final ramble for tonight. I wish all of you the happinesses we have here at Home At Last. To see healthy horses eating together, the calves growing big and strong, the goats on their house and to know that this is our life, brings us contentment and peace. We have friends, family and a great support group that help us live this life. We'd like to share it with you. Call and come out on a Sunday from 10-2. 530-514-1439. There is a critter here who will steal your heart and make you smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment