Friday, May 6, 2011

Hay From The Sky

Today was a VERY busy day. Dr Darling and Kelly arrived about 8:30 as did Aaron, Amy, Su, Jerry, Art and Laura. Then the fun began. Aaron, Amy and I caught horses while Art held them. When the shots, dental exams, physical exams and weights were done, Aaron did a hoof check and trimmed those who needed it.Then Amy and I caught horses. Over 40 horses were treated today.
The rhythm of the way was Catch Hold Weigh Dental Shots Trim Repeat. Only 2 were rascals and wouldn't let us catch them-Amira and Pearl. Oh, Laura's job was to catch and contain little Gracie. That was not as easy as is sounds. Jerry and Su maintained the records.
There was lots of good news. Sparkle weighs over 900 pounds and is doing very well. Quest and Bobbie had been on our Watch List but are now doing so well they are off it. Levi II's feet are doing well. Jake weighs over 1400 pounds! The two critters who are usually difficult stood like gentlemen. Thanks Levi I and Tucker. Frankie and old Cash felt so good they gave Amy a run for her money.
I had put most of the lower herd in the barn for breakfast so catching them was
not a problem, although Sweetie Pie, Leeso and Smoke let Aaron have some fun with them.
On the sad side we now have several horses on our Watch List. The Watch List means we have real concerns about their condition and quality of life. We watch them closely. On our list is Babe, Moon Dancer, Rosie, Tiger Lily and Tess. All had good dental check-ups, have lots of food and they are just not maintianing their weight.
Several of the horses are not due for their shots until October so we didn't have to do anything other than the exams. Thanks, everyone. Believe it or not we were done in less than 3 hours.! Teamwork really works. I wonder if anyone else is as tired as I am?
Life on a ranch is always risky and this morning while feeding I had a really close call. The hay trailer is where the loose critters can nibble on it. Well, they had nibbled the stack to a dangerous tilt. Jim had been concerned so he put a packing strap around it. When I walked by it next to the electric fence I felt the ground shake. I realized that is was the hay and it was coming down where I was. My mind kept going hay-fence hay-fence where do I go? By then the hay was coming down and I shouldered it away from me and ended with only a few arm scratches. The packing straps had kept most of it to the front, not the side. Whew!! Next load goes outside the fence where nibbling cannot take place. It will make feeding a little more difficult, but will definitely be safer.
Going to work at the Thrift Store tomorrow. Come by and say Hi. Sunday we are going to see Jim's mom. Sanctuary will be closed.
Thanks again to everyone who makes Home At Last a great place for horses (and donkeys and mules and calves and goats and dogs and cats and birds).

No comments:

Post a Comment