Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's Hot! Dang it!

From Jim: It's down right hot! Pushing into the low 100s. And its stuffy humid. It's almost, but not quite, SE Asia hot! I don't like it. There's a lot to do around here and when it's like this, I get lazy and sit in the house and complain about sitting in the house and complaining. Donna went shopping and running errands. In other words, she is hiding out. I'm waiting until this evening to finish the welding on the flatbed and I'll plank the deck tommorrow in the AM, while it's cooler. Then, it's over to Lyle's for a square of hay. See if all this truck work is going to pay off. The horses have settled into doze mode for the day. They will go through around 3000 gallons of water today. That's about 30 gallons apiece plus what they spill playing around. When we refill the tanks, there will many requests for a bath or a chance to hold the hose in their mouth and squirt water everywhere. If a sense of humor and playfulness are any measure of intelligence, Horses score way up high! I'll be glad when Fall gets here and I'm really hoping for a nice Indian Summer. Get a quick freeze-kill the ---- flies, and then warm back up for 5 or 6 weeks to around 70 degrees. The real down side to Fall is making the hard decisions about the seniors that can't and shouldn't do another Winter. We've already lost Tess and Callie, and next week it looks like there will be 3 or 4 more. Can't tell you how difficult this is for us. Thank goodness for Dr. Gary and his wise and loving counsel. Be time to set up for the evening chores soon. The patterns and cycles of the sanctuary are like a beautiful song. They lilt you along. I think I still have a little while left to stay in the house and complain, so I better get to it, before I have to get to work!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jim, sorry it is so hot there & I really hate to hear that you are going to have to make those decisions that are so hard to make. I am just thankful the animals have you & Donna. You are wonderful people. You give so much of yourselves to each of the animals to give them wonderful lives. Sending prayers. Love & Hugs

    ReplyDelete