Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cup Full of Pencils...





From Jim: We've had some of our long time supporters send along some very much needed donations and, boy, are we grateful. It's pretty difficult to ask folks that have their own financial concerns to help our sanctuary. If it was another situation, I don't know if I would do it. When we started Home At Last, we had no idea of how terrible the need was. Our idea was to have some old critters to share some time with in our retirement. We've been at this for a while now, and things just keep heading in the wrong direction for the equine population. There's more of them, largely due to irresponsible breeding practices. There's fewer homes. People don't have the money, or knowledge, or desire. The impact of the latest floods and droughts has hurt the food supply terribly. Grain prices have gone through the roof. It's interesting to me that we never receive donations of $5 or $10 or $20 dollars. Those would add up and help a lot. We have around 3800 friends on FB. Some are other rescues or organizations and are not potential donors. If even 10% of the rest of the folks that know about Home At Last would get in the game, things would be a lot better. I don't have the verbal skills to describe the needs that these poor critters have and the horrors they've faced. I wish I did. I would like to feel that they could an affective voice, an advocate that was successful. Donna and I spend almost all of our time taking care of the herd and that's really OK. We know how to do it and enjoy the work. The "sitting on the curb with a cup full of pencils", not so much. Our dear friends, Helen and Ron, created a thrift and gift store dedicated to supporting Home At Last. We've won national contests and placed high in others. What I haven't been able to do is inspire a few hundred folks to make a regular monthly donation of a few dollars. It's tax deductible, 100% of every dollar goes to the critters, and without this sanctuary these animals would have died. I can't find stronger words. I can't say it with more conviction. Please think about joining this effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment