Friday, May 13, 2011

Yesterday Was Special

Laura invited me to Handi-Riders yesterday and it was special. The riders, volunteers and of course the the horses, Roy, Honey and Pepe were the stars. Handi-Riders is a non-profit organization serving the needs of the physically and mentally challenged with therapeutic horseback riding.
Each rider is paired with a suitable mount and volunteers are there to make sure everyone is safe.
Danny Cuneo is the executive director who was giving instructions and leading the fun. The children were thrilled and the horses and ponies so proud of their riders.
If you want to see a special relationship between horse and rider or of you want to volunteer for this worthy cause call Danny at 530-533-5333 0r her cell is 530-990-7997.
It was the end of the Spring session and everyone received this beautiful poem by John Anthony Davies called I Saw A Child
I saw a child who couldn't walk
Sit on a Horse then laugh and talk-
Then ride it through a field of daisies
And yet he could not walk unaided.
I saw a child with no legs below,
Sit on a horse and make it go-
Through woods of green and places he'd never been,
To sit and stare except from a chair.
I saw a child who could only crawl,
Mount a horse and sit up tall-
Put it through degrees of paces
And laugh at the wonder in our faces.
I saw a child born into strife
Take up and hold the reins of life-
And that same child I heard him say
Thank God for showing me the way.

Thanks Handi-Riders for making the day a little brighter for so many.

1 comment:

  1. Donna, I'm a friend of Linda & Jim Hodges, I got to come to a benefit last year when I was up visiting Linda & Jimmy. You found a special place in my heart. I live in Bethel Island, Ca. and even though I don't know if I can help, I'm going to do what I can now that I have a computer, to see what I can do to get your word out there. You do wonderful work, and I hope to get to come visit again. Thank you for all you do. Cynthia Ann Tanner

    ReplyDelete